Title Photo
School / History of School
Today is sunday, 26. may 2019

History of School

České Budějovice grew significantly at the end of the 19th century. Together with the development of the city, the population increased. There were built several schools. However, in the Linz suburb the Czech school was missing.


The idea of its formation first appeared in 1897. The Matice školské Committee decided to build the school in April 1900. On the corner ground along today´s Komenského Street, the neo-renaissance style building grew quite fast. The building was opened in the middle of September 1901. It was the first Czech primary school for boys and girls in the Linz suburb. Five classes were attended by almost 250 children. In September 1911, an extension of the eastern wing of the building was completed in today´s Matice školské street. It became the seat of the Czech Teaching Institute.

During the World War I, the school was occupied several times for military needs. There were found another places for the school. Due to the lack of coal at the end of the war, teaching was completely interrupted for several months. During the period between wars, the number of classes and teachers increased. The school radio was introduced at school.

After the outbreak of World War II, many changes occured. The school building was confiscated several times for military needs. The number of pupils dropped. In 1942 German language became conpulsory for all pupils. There was no school during the winter, because there was nothing to heat with. Children came for their homework only once a week.

After the war, the reconstruction of the power lines and the water distribution began, there were bought new desks and boards. In the basement the dressing rooms were set up and a playground was built in part of the destroyed school gardens. In the early fifties, the school club began to work. In 1955 it was decided to build up three more classrooms in Komenského Street. In the early sixties the mass construction of block of flats in Lidická Street began. It was associated with a sharp increase in number of pupils in the school. It was therefore necessary to introduce alternate teaching. This status lasted until 1966, when another school was opened in this area. In the 1970s and 1980s it was necessary to reconstruct the school, because the building was in a state of emergency. After these extensive construction activities, part of the school originally intended for the Teaching Institute was declared a cultural heritage.

Since the 1992/1993 school year, the school has been profiling as a school with extended language learning. English language began to be taught from the third grade, later from the first grade, German language has been taught since the sixth grade. In 1993 the school acquired legal subjectivity.